Sunday, September 2, 2012

Labor Day at Sandy Creek Acres

Sandy Creek Acres is what my parents named their "estate" when they built it several years ago.  It's sort of a family joke - there's no Sandy Creek anywhere nearby (it's actually closest to the Wapsi River).  It just sort of fits with the schtick that also marks the "scenic photo op" sign that's posted on the lane.  And while it's true their house sits on 75 acres, most of that is actually tillable land that's rented out to another farmer.  Don't get me wrong - I love my parents' house.  It's just that, if the name Sandy Creek Acres brings to mind a well-manicured estate complete with silver and servants, that's just not the case.

At any rate, we went back to farm country this weekend to celebrate two of my niece's birthdays.  I haven't been together with all my siblings and their families since Christmas last year, so it was really special to hang with them all.  One of my favorite things about my extended family is the way the cousins, aunts and uncles all seamlessly hang together.  I think Cousins Camp has a lot to do with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment