Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Night Before Thanksgiving 2012

This is the second Thanksgiving that I've worked at Whole Foods Market, prepping other people's Thanksgiving dinners before making my own from-scratch dinner for my friends and family.  Whole Foods is open on Thanksgiving Day, and it's my goal to never have to work on that day.  Since the week of Thanksgiving is typically the busiest grocery shopping week of the year (even bigger than Christmas), this is no small feat.  Each year, we're told that Thanksgiving week is "all hands on deck, no exceptions."  I continue to argue that they are required to give me at least one day off, and may I please have that day be Thanksgiving Thursday?  Last year, when I gave the "I'll do whatever it takes to get Thanksgiving Day off" speech, I wound up working the overnight shifts, assembling all the holiday catering orders, and leaving the store at 6:30am on Thanksgiving Day.

This year I've managed to get the entire day off tomorrow, but I have been working extra-long hours this week as a trade-off.  I'm exhausted, but I'm ready to go:  the shopping's done; the cranberries are cooked, the turkey's swimming in brine.  The timeline's in place, and I'm pretty sure I know where all the serving dishes are that I plan on using tomorrow.  Mom and Dad have arrived safely from Iowa.  My favorite cooking holiday is almost here!


No comments:

Post a Comment