Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day


Father's Day was today, the end of a crazy busy weekend. In addition to everything else, I was up late last night participating in the 2nd Annual Southeast Oak Park House Walk - I was a house captain -- and while the after party wrapped up fairly early, the after- afterparty was still going strong when I left well after midnight.
All Baird wanted to do today was go to church, BBQ at the Renny's afterwards, go see Up, and then get ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery, and that was ok by me. I must admit, however, that I've been dragging my feet on seeing Up. I'd read the reviews that said it was great. I'd listened to friends tell me that I'd laugh and cry and walk out with that warm fuzzy feeling. I still wasn't convinced. I mean, come on - a house floating away by balloons with a main character that's pushing 80? How is that funny? Or sad enough to make me cry?
All I can say is, if you haven't yet seen this movie, you must make plans to do so right now. I'm not a big cry-er at the movies, but this one caused me to well up not once, not twice, but three times! Who knew?!
To my own dad, happy Father's Day. And thanks for everything you've taught me over the years. I know you've always believed in me.
To Baird, the father of my children, thanks for all you do to be a positive influence in the kids' lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment