Friday, June 19, 2009

A Walk Across Asia

It seems like so much of my life is taken up with the mundane routine of being a suburban housewife, it hardly seems worth mentioning. Weeks can sometimes go by without too many eventful moments, and then all of a sudden there's a huge flurry of activity packed into a few days. This weekend is one of those that's packed with notable events, starting off with this evening.
A few months ago, I made a deal with my friend J. Renny that if she would keep my kids while Baird and I went to New Orleans for our 20th anniversary, I would cook her and her husband a rather memorable Asian-themed dinner, and keep her kids overnight afterwards. Our anniversary's in a couple of weeks, and tonight I held up my end of this bargain. I cooked and served the Rennys a total of six courses.
I learned to make this meal at Mel's cooking class last year, and as I've mentioned before, Mel's an amazing cook and a great teacher. While my camera battery died before I could photograph each dish, here's a peek at the first few courses:Shrimp toast with spicy cucumber relish and wheat grass garnish


Korean bulgogi. The Rennys said this was their favorite dish. I went easy on the kimchee.

Wild mushroom dumplings with spicy dipping sauce

Vietnamese salad roll with choice of spicy dipping sauces

And the rest of the menu, sans pictures:

Pineapple cilantro marinated pork tenderloin with orange rice and peapods

Five spice tea cake with cardamom cream and berry garnish, served with hot jasmine tea

Preparing this meal and serving it to dear friends was truly a joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment