Sunday, October 18, 2009

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

Today I got up with the dawn, dressed in pink and black, left the house early and headed down to Lawrence and the lakefront to participate in the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5 mile walk along the lakefront. I had the privilege of being part of The Pampered Chef's team. I caught up with the two bus loads of Home Office staff on my way to the starting point.Being a Pampered Chef consultant in the Chicagoland area has its advantages, and the honor of walking with Dorris Christopher (founder), Marla Gottschalk (CEO), and Jean Jonas (Sr. VP, Sales) made the day extra special.


We couldn't have asked for better walking weather. The day was sunny, the sky was bright blue and the air was crisp. There was definitely a feeling of mixed emotions swirling around me. There were many who were walking to celebrate victory over this terrible disease, but there were many others who were walking in memory of someone who was no longer here.

I walked today because breast cancer has profoundly affected my friends, colleagues, and neighbors. I walked for those like Mary Ann, who are no longer here. I walked for friends like Jackie, Marlene and Peach, who have survived. And I walked for those many, many friends who have faced panic and uncertainty while waiting for a diagnosis.

I'm proud to be a part of a company that belives in giving back!

No comments:

Post a Comment