Friday, May 13, 2011

Giving Thanks

After nine years of being on the Staff Appreciation Committee, I can honestly say that this year, we outdid ourselves.  Our theme was Giving Thanks, and we provided the Irving teachers and staff with Thanksgiving dinner in May.

We decided to do two very different things this year.  First, we solicited the entire Irving community to write letters of thanks to the teachers and staff.  Last night we sorted all those letters of appreciation, bundled them up, and today we passed them out as the parting party favor.  Our staff was overwhelmed by the outpouring of love shown to them not just by our committee, but by the students and other parents as well.

Next, we put a unique spin on decorating the tables.  Each year we've transformed the gym to match the theme of our event.  Honestly, as we were beginning to plan for this year's luncheon I thought, What can we do differently this year?  After all, how many ways are there, really, to re-arrange tables in the gym?  This is where the creative genius of the entire team comes into play.  For the first time ever, we teamed up in pairs and brought our own tableware, flatware and stemware.  We tied all the tables together with matching tablecloths and folded napkins.  The place was stunning.

At the planning meeting last month, Bharthi and I bonded over our mutual love of Fiestaware, so we put our plates together to create a classic Fiestaware look, mixing the colors for contrast.  Those who get Fiestaware, loved our table:


Here's a look at the rest of the tables, plus some fun candids from the day:







This was Mel's last year as our Intrepid Leader, and I can hardly believe it's been nine years since we were in front of Ms. Gullo's kindergarten door, and I turned her down when she asked me if I'd help her with the staff luncheon. I told her it was just cold cuts and pasta slapped down on a table for the teachers, and I didn't want to be a part of that.  "That's not what I have in mind," is what she said.  Her passion and enthusiasm hooked me, and I'm so glad I changed my "No" to a "Yes!"

At the end of the day, here's what Mel had to say to all of us:

Hey there-
Well we did it again! We hosted the heck out of a mighty fine thanksgiving for our hardworking teachers and staff yesterday! Irving school is sure lucky to have all of you and sharing your company for the past month has been a great pleasure. Please remember to pass along your receipts next week. Links to blogs and pictures are included below this message.

So...okay here it goes...the annual Staff Appreciation shout outs...
To our committee members turned staff...Anne and Jamie...thanks for flawlessly blurring the lines between school and home. We all loved waiting on you, but loved that you came to the cooking night even more!
To the first-timers...Jen O, Molly, Michele, Bharathi, Marta, Penny, Lori, Laura, and Carolyn...your blind trust did not go unnoticed and your willingness to tamp down any confusion about the event was much appreciated! Your wide-eyed wonder at how it all came together was one of the highlights of the day for me and your energy and enthusiasm bodes well for the future of this event and Irving school in general!

To the old timers...Stephanie, Tee, and Nancy...having you hang around for 9 years inspired me to keep pushing forward with this event and having your voices there to help usher in new volunteers has been exceptionally valuable over the years. It is hard to believe this all started outside the kindergarten doors! Thank you for your loyalty and years of friendship.
To the new powerhouses...Talley, Gloria G, Gloria C...you three are the reason I know this event will continue on for years to come. Your creative energy, organization, ability to delegate, and willingness to take on big projects have impressed me to no end and I am honored to have witnessed your devotion to our school. You are a force to be reckoned with.
To Ron Martin...for returning and sharing his considerable talents with us again...To David Jordan...for cooking his butt off for me since 2006...and to both of you for heading up the carving stations yesterday; you were the perfect way to start off a memorable meal.

To Libby for being smart enough to use this committee as an outlet and escape this year and to Julie for managing my expectations with grace and honestly and allowing us to celebrate the exciting and courageous changes she has made in her life in the past couple of years. You are two of the most extraordinary women I know! If you ever need anything I am an email or phone call away.
To the turkey cookers, ham handlers, bakers, letter writers, and challah roll makers of the world...our lunch would not have been the same without you.

• Midge and Gina courageously offered to cook up the star attraction for our lunch and did incredibly well under pressure.

• Lisa, your challah is the hallmark of the family table and the fact you were baking until 2am for our teachers shows unparalleled devotion. Irving will miss you next year.

• Jen, your four step green beans were as good as they should have been! And thanks for following the dress code ;o)!

• Chloe, you lead the single most impressive cooking task assignment I've seen. Leading the ladies through apple pie making in the dining room was a favorite moment of the year for me!

• Karin, I love that you brought your mom this year and the committee will forever be better off because of your suggestions about becoming more eco-friendly over the years! You helped shift this event in a better direction. Thanks!

• Liz, thank you for supporting Talley and making time to share with us in the midst of book fair insanity. You are an Irving school hero!

To Jane (aka Treasure Island)...for being one of my favorite keepsakes of all.

To Rashmi...for attaching her jury duty summons to an email...moments like that make me feel drunk with power and I love that! The seriousness of your devotion to this committee is most admirable.
And one more shout out to Talley Hann for agreeing to take charge of this event next year. Who is planning to ditch her? NO-ONE! Time to pass the bracelet...and a glass of wine.

On a personal note, I want to thank each of you for being a part of ending something that has been exceptionally special to me. I left feeling as appreciated as our staff members and I cannot express how that feels.
Love,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment