Friday, May 20, 2011

Going Underground

Ever since I first heard about the idea of underground dining, I've been intrigued.  I've thought that the mystery of an unknown guest list, coupled with the element of a surprise menu, would combine for a memorable evening.
Back in the dead of winter, the idea of incorporating an underground dining experience into Irving's annual silent auction was born.  It's Mel's last year at Irving, and she wanted to give back in a big way.  She decided to donate an underground dining experience for 50.  Those of us who quickly hit "reply" were lucky enough to get in.  We were told to save Friday, May 20th for the event, and that more information would be forthcoming.
I don't think I'm overstating at all when I say that this event has been the most anticipated Irving event in at least the past decade.  Speculation about the guest list, the venue, and the food was the talk of the parents for months.  I must admit I made it my mission to figure out as much of the guest list as I could.  I feel slightly smug that I had about a third of the list pegged down before tonight's event.
Mel truly outdid herself this evening, preparing and serving over 900 bite-sized portions of food that was as tasty as it was beautiful.  You can see Mel's view of the evening here; these are my favorite shots of the night:
Thanks, Mel, for putting your heart and soul into Irving for the past nine years!

1 comment: