Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Transition to Fall 2011

There are two trees located just west of our house on Fillmore, and every year they are the first two trees to sport their fall colors.  Often they begin their transformation a week or so before the kids head back to school, and I'm always a bit startled the first time I look out my living room window and notice the change.  What?!  Fall already?!  Where did the summer go?! is usually what I'm thinking when I realize what's happening.

Fall's hitting late this year, as summer is on its, like, third last hurrah - it's almost 80 and sunny today.  Anyway, I remember over the Labor Day weekend, I was looking out the living room window at the trees, seeking their visual cue that fall was on its way.  I remember thinking that the trees were running late this year.  In fact, it's only been in the last few weeks that these trees have finally started to turn.

As I finished my run this morning, I noticed that the two trees are finally in full fall glory, blazing the trail toward fall colors, setting the example for the other trees on the block:


It really is that beautiful!  The sun shining on the leaves, contrasting with a bright blue sky, makes me kind of wish that I could throw a blanket under the tree, lie down and stare up at the leaves all day long.  Since that's just not a realistic option, I've made this picture the wallpaper on my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment