Friday, June 1, 2012

The Last Dance

Today was Drew's last day of elementary school.  I can hardly believe that this day has come.  Twelve  years ago, I was over eight months pregnant with Drew, waddling over to Ms. Gullo's kindergarten door for the very first time with Kelsey as part of a brand-new class of Irving students.  I remember thinking on the way over that in two years, Erin would be in kindergarten, and then I'd have my days to myself.  I barely got that thought out of my head when Drew delivered a hard kick to my lung.  I caught my breath a moment and thought Oh, but then there's this one.  Oh!  This child will be born in October - it'll be a late birthday.  I've set myself back six years in the school game.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?!  I started doing the math.  I figured out that I would be spending the next twelve years of my life at Washington Irving Elementary School.  Back in 2000, I could hardly fathom that.  At that point, Kelsey was only five.  The idea that I was going to be associated with this particular school for more than twice the number of years that she had been alive...well, that was just incomprehensible.  Honestly, it's gone much faster than I ever thought it would.  I truly am having some trouble wrapping my head around the idea that I'm officially a "former" Irving parent.  I took lots of pictures today to commemorate this event.  Here are my favorites:

Ms. Balicki's 5th grade class:

Drew playing hoops on the playground for one last time as an Irving student:

In place to watch the final teacher dance:

Mr. Hodge, beloved Irving principal, makes the final announcements of the school year before introducing the dance

The last dance Drew witnessed as an Irving student:



Last year, Mr. DiPaolo was Elvis; this year, he was Michael:

Drew and his fabulous teacher this year.  Ms. Balicki has had a tremendous impact on all three of my kids.




Looking forward to the next step!

No comments:

Post a Comment