Sunday, May 10, 2009

My 15th Mother's Day

Somehow, anniversaries of any sort that are divisible by 5 or 10 seem to demand a little more reflection than other milestones. When I woke up this morning, I realized that today was the 15th anniversary of my first Mother's Day.

15 years ago I was pregnant with Kelsey. I had no idea at the time what a smart, loyal, funny, athletic, beautiful girl she would become. She's taller than I am now, and she challenges me every day in ways big and small. I wouldn't have it any other way. She is so special for so many reasons, not the least of which is that she's the one who made me a mom in the first place. I treasure our M*A*S*H time together, and I'm so glad she's my daughter.

Erin was 2 months old 12 years ago on Mother's Day. She was always my little helper, and I missed her terribly when she went off to 1st grade. I cannot believe how grown up she is. You know your daughter's turning out right when many of your friends remark, "Your daughter is so amazing! Can I just adopt her?" As sweet and helpful as Erin can be, she is a force to be reckoned with on the soccer field. I've seen her get smacked in the face with the ball and not even flinch as she then moves in to take a shot on goal. Being a middle child myself, there is a special bond between Erin and me. I love her dearly.

9 years ago on Mother's Day, I was marking the end of my 1st trimester with my 3rd child. I just knew this one was a boy! Drew is an intense, competitve, smart little boy with the biggest head for sports trivia I've ever seen. I always thought the girls and I had a lot of energy, but Drew has more than all 3 of us combined. And while Drew's got a wildly tough exterior, underneath it all is a big-hearted kid who already gives generously to those in need. I'd be lost without my Little Dude.

And to my wonderful hubby, thanks for getting up early this morning, buying me roses, and getting us to church on time. As always, you made the day extra special in ways both big and small. I couldn't do it without you...you're the best!

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way about taking stock on Mother's Day...sounds like motherhood continues to suit you.

    ReplyDelete