Saturday, May 23, 2009

Two of a Kind

In the last 2 days, I've been able to do 2 of my favorite things:

*Take a cooking class and learn a new skill
*Get to the spa for a pedicure

Mel's a gifted chef whose cooking creations look like works of art, and they taste even better. On top of all that, Mel's a great teacher, and I never miss an opportunity to learn from her. Last night was the annual cooking class that raises money for Irving's PTO. I learned how to wrap sushi, among other things. Here's a peek at the menu:

Maki Your Way (that's the sushi)
Seared Scallop with Cumin Tortilla Chip, Roasted Jalpeno Pesto, Tomato, Orange and Carmelized Onions
Shrimp Corn Dog with Taragon Mustard Sauce
Poached Chicken, Melon, Asparagus and Cheese
Oven Roasted Tomato, Israeli Couscous, Seared Wild Salmon with Lemon and Oregano Oil
Coffee and Doughnuts
I woke up this morning still thinking about the amazing food I learned to make last night!
And then, bright and early this morning, Kelsey, J. Renny & I went to Spa Constantine for pedicures. My feet are now soft as a baby's and my toes are polished to a bright red. It was a gorgeous day today - perfect sandal weather - perfect for showing off newly polished toes!
This evening we went to M&B's house for a cookout. As the evening progressed, the talk turned to Texas Hold 'Em, and it came out that I've never played the game. 6 of us gathered around the table, and Mr. K offered to coach me through my first few hands. At one point in the game, Baird and I were betting against each other, we were both bluffing, and we were both holding the same cards - we each had a 3 and a 10. Several hands later we realized we were, once again, both holding the same cards, but this time it was 5s and 7s!
With our 20th wedding anniversary just a few weeks away, it seemed poetic that not once, but twice in the same game our cards matched. What are the odds? It reminded me of an old Garth Brooks song, "We're two of a kind working on a full house."

No comments:

Post a Comment