Monday, June 14, 2010

Date Night: Taking Care of Orphans


I grew up hating cheese.  When I was very young, I got sick on a neighbor's batch of Velveeta-based mac 'n cheese, and I refused to touch the stuff ever again.  Velveeta and American cheese singles, in my mind, were insanely disgusting, and they were the cheeses I was mostly exposed to in my growing up years.  Even after I became an adult, I held fast to my "I hate cheese" attitude, simply because I refused to investigate cheese any further.  I assumed that all cheese was highly processed and generally bad tasting.
I even spent 36 hours in Paris, and barely touched the cheeses there.  I did break down and have a bowl of classic French onion soup.  I remember the cheese in the soup tasted pretty darn good, but I thought that had more to do with the fact that I was, after all, dining in Paris, at a restaurant equidistant from the Eiffel Tower and the Seinne River.  How could it not be tasty?
For the next several years, I assumed that good cheese could only be found in Paris and required a trip across The Pond, and was therefore unattainable.
My attitude toward cheese began to shift a few years later when I took a cooking class that featured the importance of using quality ingredients.  The case in point was Parmesan Cheese.  Our class was first given the cheap, dried, out-of-the-can cheese to taste.  I just couldn't bring myself to admit to a roomful of other adults, in the middle of a cooking class, that I don't eat cheese.  I took a small taste.  Unimpressive, to say the least.  Our chef-instructor kept upping the quality of cheese on us, giving us samples of ever-more-expensive varieties until at last we were eating this insanely wonderful, expensive cheese.  As I ate - and enjoyed - that cheese, it occurred to me that I had misjudged myself.  I didn't hate cheese; I was merely a cheese snob.
Then the Marion Street Cheese Market came to Oak Park.  I was excited but a bit frustrated.  It was entirely possible to blow the weeks' grocery budget in a single trip to that store.  This type of high quality cheese was fantastic but nearly out of reach.  I decided it was worth saving for and including in special occasion meals.
In the last year or two, the Cheese Market came up with an absolutely brilliant idea: they started selling "orphan" cheeses.
An orphan cheese is a piece that is more than a sample, but a bit too small to be sold on its own.  These  pieces are individually wrapped and placed in a basket.  I absolutely love this because it allows me to bring home incredible, expensive cheese at an affordable price.
Tonight, Baird and I were surprised to find ourselves alone for a few hours on a Monday evening, and decided to make it a wine, cheese and fruit night.  We went to Trader Joe's and spent that gift certificate I won from the library.  Then we headed over to Marion Street Cheese Market and rescued several orphans.  They had names like "Bogart," "Rembrandt," and "Big Ed's."  One orphan came from a place called The Cowgirl CreameryWe ate and drank and watched the 1940 movie The Philadelphia Story. Taking care of the cheese orphans while watching a timeless, intelligent classic film made for a perfect in-house date.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post tee! I had no idea you were a cheese hater. Also, I was relieved this was about cheese and not actual orphans. You do so much for the community already, adding orphans to the mix would make us average folk look even worse! :o)

    ReplyDelete