Saturday, March 12, 2011

14

My Dearest Erin,

As soon as I saw you, I knew we would have a special bond: we are both second-born girls with a sister two years older.  Your skin was as soft as the softest feather, and your Aunt Marion remarked that it felt just like mine did when I was a baby.  Your cowlic (which was evident from the very beginning), however, is your dad's gift to you.  And your eyes.  They were blue, just like your Grand Daddy Shattuck's and your Grandma Hunter's.

By the time you could walk, we knew about your headstrong ways and your iron will.  You've always thought you were the smartest in the family, and to this day you work hard to prove that to the rest of the 5 Ring Circus.  All that behind those steel blue eyes and that beautiful smile!

By the time you were in preschool you could melt the hearts of anyone who looked your way.  Every time we ran errands, people gave you things for free because of how cute and charming you were.  I remember thinking this is how beautiful people learn to get their way with just a smile.

As you traveled thru elementary school, you made friends not just with your classmates, but with the entire staff at Irving School.  Your amazing organizational skills, which were way beyond your years even then, were recognized by everyone.  Your dad and I got used to hearing comments such as, "I'm not really sure how I ran my classroom all those years before Erin came along," and "It's hard for me to put into words how close to perfect - in every way - Erin is when she's in my classroom."

And now you're 14!  As you start this new year in your life, you are also preparing to close the middle school chapter in your journey toward adulthood.  You are beautiful inside and out, and I'm so very proud of you!

Love,
Mom


1 comment: