Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Early Morning Shelling





The girls and I got up before dawn this morning to go shelling, with moderate success.  We all spent a lazy day on the beach (altho Baird stayed close to the cottage, given his seriously sunburned skin), with the girls meeting up and hanging out with DK.

We dined at JoTo, a Japanese steakhouse.  We opted for the teppan-yaki table presentation.  Our chef/entertainer was hillarious and skilled, whipping shrimp tails into his shirt pocket with ease.

We've fallen into the habit of stopping by Big Olaff's after dinner.  This is a wildly dangerous habit - their ice cream and fudge is rich, decadent, and simply addicting!  We lingered a bit too long over ice cream, however, and were caught in a heavy downpour as we were walking back to the cottage.

While I'm fond of telling the kids, "It's just rain,you're not made of sugar, you're not going to melt," the intensity of the thunderstorms down here make me a uneasy.  When I was shopping at Walmart on Monday on the way back from Clearwater and I mentioned the monsoon-like conditions to the clerk, she looked at me for a moment before replying, "You can tell how long someone's been in Florida by the color of their skin and how they react to the rain.  I'm guessing you just got here." I'm pretty sure that when I slipped off my shoes and ran barefoot thru the parking lot's ankle-deep water I truly looked like the tourist I was!

Anyway, I just wasn't up for a good soaking, so Baird and Kelsey graciously ran back to the cottage in the pouring-down rain, grabbed the car, and returned to retrieve the rest of us from under an awning we'd dashed under when the skies cut loose with this latest round of "steady showers."  And it's supposed to rain all night and most of tomorrow.  But at least things are green down here.  Oh, and it's still a warm 70 degrees.  The grass is green.  The palm trees are beautiful. There are gorgeous flowers everywhere I turn.  So I'll put up with the rain, 'cause it still beats Chicago's 42 and rainy!

No comments:

Post a Comment