Saturday, August 1, 2009

1st Sweet Corn of the Season

We went to the farmer's market this morning, and finally there was fresh sweet corn! It's been so cool and wet this summer that the corn took awhile to reach maturity.
It was worth the wait!


Growing up on a farm, we had our own sweet corn patch. I always ate corn within an hour of it being picked off the stalk. It was a way of life; I didn't know any different.
And then I moved to the city, where corn is shipped in from the corners of the earth and it tastes awful. For the longest time Baird actually thought I didn't like sweet corn.
He didn't realize I was just a corn snob.
The corn at the farmer's market is picked in the wee hours of the morning and hauled by the truckload to the Pilgrim Church Parking lot. 50 cents an ear is a lot to pay, but the taste of corn that can be eaten the same day it's picked is absolutely priceless!
I've passed my snobbery on to Drew, who only eats corn on the cob, and only when it's fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment