Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fort Massac-Metropolis

It's not a true family vacation for the 5 Ring Circus unless I sneak a bit of education in. On this trip we made a stop at Fort Massac, a place on the Ohio River that was strategically important from the 1600s through the Civil War. Drew learned how to shoot a bow and arrow.


You just can't go to Southern Illinois without making a stop at Metropolis!



We spent the rest of the day driving around the countryside, trying to track down businesses that were actually open on a Saturday afternoon. We ate lunch at 17th Street BBQ in Murphysboro. This place has won so many awards for BBQ I won't even begin to mention them here, but you can read all about them at their website: http://www.17thstreetbarbecue.com/. I tried fried pickles for the first time and I'm hooked! While they wouldn't give me the recipe, they did tell me that the batter has Magic Dust in it, so of course I picked up a couple of bottles so I can experiment once I get home.
We also swung by a peach orchard and picked up peaches that had just been picked. They were absolutely perfect: sweet and run-down-your-chin juicy. Summer vacation tastes great!


1 comment:

  1. Tee- I make fried pickles! I can help you crack the code.

    ReplyDelete