Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Color Purple

Purple has been my favorite color forever.  When I was younger than Drew, my parents were building a house, which was very exciting because I was going to get my own room.  My mom told me I could choose the color of the carpet for my new space.  I found this gorgeous, dark purple carpet called Eggplant.  My mom said no.  She wouldn't budge.  "In a year or two, you'll hate it," was her practical response.  I wound up with red carpet instead.

I still love purple.  I was thrilled to pieces a couple of years ago when the color purple started making a comeback, and I've invested heavily in the trend.  I have a pair of sparkly purple rain boots I just adore (thanks, Mom!).  Every time I update my wardrobe, I try to add another splash of purple.

The purple trend isn't just in clothes, however.  Purple food is hot right now.  Last year I bought a purple basil plant, which added some visual fun to my summer meals.  Today at the Farmer's Market, there was purple galore.  I picked up some purple food for our Farmer's Market Surprise meal tonight:


I had a vision of  serving tri-colored beans (yellow, green and purple) for supper, but alas, I was disappointed.  I didn't realize that the purple color in the string beans only lasts until the beans meet heat.  I've decided that purple beans probably make a bigger splash on a raw veggie tray than they do served warm.  They still tasted good, and were a great complement to the rest of our Farmer's Market meal of sweet corn on the cob, grilled eggplant, and fresh berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment