Friday, September 3, 2010

Scenes from Iowa - Whispers of Fall

As we travelled out to Iowa today, it was very clear that full-on summer is over and fall is whispering.  Temperatures dropped 30 degrees in the past 48 hours.  There was a hint of scarlet amongst the green ditches as we sped past the fields.  I noticed the sandy brown color creeping up the stocks of corn.  It was obvious the silk on the ears of corn has browned, yet the ears themselves remain upright (they'll turn down in about another month).

Usually when the humidity breaks and the temperatures start to drop I get sad, thinking, Really?  Summer's over?  But it feels like it just got here!  This year's different tho.  It's been so hot and humid, I just want the inferno to be over.  As I watched the early whispers of fall, I found myself smiling, and welcoming the change with open arms.



No comments:

Post a Comment