Saturday, November 28, 2009

Giving Back at the ECC

I'm a firm believer in "to whom much has been given, much will be required." Our family has been so blessed, and we're always looking for ways to give back. Kelsey and I decided this fall that we'd start volunteering at The Emergency Clothes Closet, which is part of Oak Park's Walk-In Ministries. The Oak Park Community of Congregations was looking for a place to move the ECC, since it had outgrown its former home. I was so excited when our church took on this project.
Today was our first time volunteering with this organization. Kelsey and I were personal shoppers, which means we met with people to see what items they needed. After chatting for a few minutes, we'd head down to the basement, grab what was needed, and ask our guest to choose from the options we'd picked. If an item didn't work out, Kelsey would run back down to the basement to look for another option while I continued chatting.
It was a great way to spend the morning, and it opened my eyes to the sheer enormity of this project. It was heartbreaking to have to tell someone toward the end, "I'm sorry, we're out of your size. But please, try again next week, and we'll do everything we can to accommodate you."
If you happen to have adult size boots, gloves or winter coats (esp. in sizes XL-XXXXL) in your house that you'd like to get rid of, please let me know and I'd be happy to get them over to the ECC. And I know that whoever ends up with your generous donation will be eternally grateful for your generosity.






No comments:

Post a Comment