Friday, November 13, 2009

SNAP!

I came home from work last night to BIG DRAMA - there's an uncaught mouse in our house. Let me be clear here: I hate mice. As in, I have a profound, dibilitating fear of mice. They are not cute. They are creepy home invaders with whom I do not enjoy sharing space. There was once a dead mouse in front of our dryer. Erin found me on top of the washer screaming.

On a diffferent occasion, I was unloading groceries when I spotted a mouse caught in a trap, and its tail was STILL MOVING. I completely freaked out. I called Baird at work to tell him. In that cold, uncaring way that only a husband can muster he asked, "Do you really expect me to leave work at one in the afternoon and take care of this?" Well, when you put it that way...

I did, however, call in a favor from a neighbor and asked her teenage son to please dispose of that little piece of snap.

Every morning after the kids leave for school, I spend some time in silence. No music. No TV. It helps me focus and think about what needs to be accomplished. So today, I got the kids off to school, tidied up the back room and kitchen, grabbed my coffee and headed to the living room to sip in silence. Suddenly, a loud SNAP! broke the quiet. My stomach lurched. Snap, that SNAP can only mean one thing! I so didn't want to go into the kitchen and see a dirty gray hairball caught up in the trap. So, I managed, for about an hour, to find ways to avoid the kitchen.

I finally gathered up the courage to check it out. Oh snap! That SNAP was a rodent's way of telling me he's a smart little critter. As in, he cleaned the peanut butter right off the trap and avoided getting caught. That means he's still at large. Oh. Snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment