Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Day Off

A typical work-from-home day looks something like this:

Get the kids up and thru their morning routine
See them off to school with hugs and kisses
Tidy up the house a bit (sometimes it's a lot of tidying up)
Laundry & Dishes
Check email
Lots of work phone calls
Handle some paperwork
Maybe run and errand or two
Do a bit of food prep for supper, if there's still time
Pick up Drew from school
and then the afternoon/evening rush sets in with homework, carpooling, dinner, etc.

Quite frequently, I sneak in a breakfast or lunch date with a friend on Thursdays. Today, however, I took the whole day off. I went over to my foodie friend Mel's house armed with fresh fruit and extravagant cheeses from Marion Street Cheese Market. Mel provided baked brie, chocolate and a little bubbly. We spent the day indulging ourselves with a grown-up play date, nibbling our way thru a beautiful platter of food, chatting about this and that, and watching the movie What's Cooking. Wrapping myself up in this bubble of warm friendship and fabulous food was the perfect cure for mid-January blues.
I know that it's back to reality first thing tomorrow morning, but this is a day I'll savor for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment