Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Recovered Treasure

When Erin was three, she had two very special friends, JP and KD. They were high schoolers who taught in her Sunday School class. Erin adored them both and invited them to her birthday party. There are not many high school girls who would give up a weekend afternoon to hang out at a four-year-old birthday party thrown for a little girl not related to them. Both JP and KD came. JP gave Erin this book by Jamie Lee Curtis.


JP penned a special note to Erin on the inside cover, making the book extra special. Over the years, I read the book and JP's note countless times. There came a time, however, when Erin outgrew the book and no longer asked me to read it to her. Then a couple of years ago when she moved her room back upstairs, she wanted to get rid of the book. I took the book for her but I didn't give it away. I put it in a very safe place.


When we ate at The Walnut Room at Christmastime, we happened to see Today I Feel Silly out on display. Seeing the book again triggered lots of warm, fuzzy memories for Erin, and she pulled the book off the shelf and read it out loud to Kelsey and me. When she was done she said, "Mom, I really wish I hadn't given that book away."

"You didn't give it away. I took it from you but I saved it. But I can't remember exactly where it is. We'll look for it though."

In the busyness of the Christmas holiday, I forgot about finding the book. But thru the magic of Facebook, JP and Erin reconnected earlier this week, and Erin desperately wanted to find the book. It took some doing, since that very safe place was so safe I couldn't remember it. I was finally able to put my hands on the book, and here's how Erin said thanks:


I think I might be up for Mom of the Year for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment