Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cooking Class



My friend Tracy is one of the most giving people I know.  She always has a project going on, whether its organizing delivery of bottled water to those in Tennesssee whose lives have been upended by the recent flooding, or cooking meals at a Ronald McDonald House, or doing a breast cancer walk.  While there's always a "project du jour," Tracy's passion these last few years has been her annual White Sox tailgate party that raises hundreds of dollars for White Sox Charities as well as charities that benefit her home town of Sycamore.
Tonight Tracy joined me in my kitchen, and I taught her how to make Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad, one of my all-time favorite meals.  This salad is under consideration as possible tailgate food.  We talked over what parts can be made ahead and how to tweak the recipe so it will hold up well in July heat.  Tracy doesn't cook hardly at all, so I taught her how to handle and trim raw chicken and showed her how to use a "big knife."
Even if it's decided that this recipe won't be used at the Tailgate party, I'm happy knowing I spent time with a good friend, and I was able to send her home with a fantastic recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment