Monday, May 3, 2010

Telling Me Where to Go

Warning!  I'm cranky and irritable today, so if you're not in the mood for a rant, you may want to skip this.

Somehow, some way, for the past nine years, I've figured out how to get from my house to Irving School without directions of any sort.  The school is only a block-and-a-half from my back door, so it's not that hard.  The Village of Oak Park has apparently decided that its citizens are too directionally challenged to figure out school routes on their own, and so they decided, in their infinite wisdom, to help us out.

In an era when money is so tight that are streets are falling apart, our school district is crying poor, and the Village insists it's broke, somehow, some way, someone was able to find $15,000 to pay for signage like this to appear throughout the Village so that people will know how to find the safest way to their local school:

I know the Village used grant money to pay for most of this project, and so it was "only" $15,000 that actually came out of the local taxpayers' pockets.  I don't care that they saved more than $60,000 because they got a grant - they still spent $15K!  In my household budget, if I'm broke, I'm forced to quit spending, no matter how good the deal is that comes along.  I think the Village of Oak Park needs to learn live within its means, not spend less money than it might otherwise have because someone found grant money.  And I don't like them telling me where to go, so I may just have to return the favor.

Enough ranting for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment