Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Good Food for Good Friends

Back in the day when I first met Mel, she invited me to her house for lunch.  I had no idea at the time that I was being invited to dine with a fantastic chef.  She served me this amazing tuna wrap.  It had incredible, complex flavors in it.  As I was eating this unbelievable wrap I thought, "I can't ever have this woman over to my house for lunch.  I don't have anything to serve her that can even come close to this!"
It took me almost six months, but I finally found a recipe I felt was worthy of the meal I'd eaten at Mel's.  It was an Indian inspired pork chop with mango relish.  I gathered my courage and invited Mel for lunch, and our foodie friendship was underway.
Over the years, I've often made this recipe when a friend needs a meal, especially in the summer time.  Today a friend was in need, so I came to the rescue with this fabulous meal.  I served it to my family too.  Erin has declared it to be her new favorite meal, and has requested it for her birthday (just eight months away).
Here's the recipe:
Grilled Pork Chops with Mango Relish

2 Tbs. plain yogurt
2 tsp. honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground tumeric
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)
1/2 tsp. grated fresh gingerroot
4 boneless pork chops (4 oz. each)

Mango Relish
1 large mango, peeled and diced
3/4 cup chopped red onion
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 tsp. chopped jalapeno (or more, to taste)
juice of half a lime
salt to taste (probably 1/8 to 1/4  tsp. )

For pork chops, mix spices until well combined; add yogurt and honey and stir until well blended.  In a large resealable plastic bag, add pork chops and seasonings.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours.  Meanwhile, combine relish ingredients in a bowl.  Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour; refrigerate until serving.
Drain and discard marinade.  Place pork chops on greased rack and grill over medium heat 3-4" from the heat for 6-10 minutes on each side.  Serve with mango relish and Hawaiian bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment