Monday, July 12, 2010

The Walking Tour

I mentioned yesterday about being in a larger cluster in my Pampered Chef business.  A lot of the out-of-towners only get to Chicago for Conference.  They are often so busy attending meetings and running to and from the hotel that they don't stop and see Chicago.  Our schedule was a little different this year, so we have more evenings free.  With tonight being a free night, I sponsored a walking tour.  We swung by Garrett's for some popcorn (how can you not?!) to cure the munchies while we walked.  Next stop:  the giant eyeball.

Until today I'd only read about the eyeball, I'd not seen it up close.  Frankly, it's as big and ugly as you've heard.  I'm a little surprised it hasn't shown up in any Visine commercials.

Next up:  "The Gardens."  I know that each little garden nook has its own name and personality, but I tend to refer to the whole stretch on the south side of Michigan Avenue, from about 10th Street, north to Millennium Park, as "The Gardens."  
If you've never taken the time to really explore this stretch of the City, please put it at the top of your Summer To Do List. Allow a few hours to meander among the colors and admire the sculptures. Slow down and count the butterflies. Take your shoes off and wade in the water at Crown Fountain. Stand under The Bean and take pictures. Stroll over to Buckingham Fountain as the sun heads to bed, and watch it slip behind the sky scrapers. Then turn north and watch the lights of the city twinkle to life at dusk.


I've lived in Chicagoland since 1986, and I've never gotten over how beautiful the city is.  I just love sharing it with people who don't live around here, because they also get excited about it.  If you live here, don't blow it off just because it's close - it's a world class place.

No comments:

Post a Comment