Thursday, October 7, 2010

East Side Gems

When the kids went back to school this fall, I set a goal to walk every street in Oak Park.  So far I've walked every street south of the expressway.  Today I "crossed the canyon" and began walking Austin north of the highway.

I must admit that seeing my village from a walking pace has made me notice things I never realized were around.  Usually when I'm on Austin Blvd., I'm speeding down the street in my minivan at 30 mph, and I'm not paying the least bit attention to the architecture that's flying by my windows.  I never realized the diversity in the buildings in a two-block stretch before today.

There's fancy classic:

There's fun (how can you not see a Mr. Potato Head face in this building?!)

Then there's classic with clean lines.

I can't wait to see what else I discover on my walks around Oak Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment