Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With Strings

I hate doing crafts.  I would much rather spend a day or two in the kitchen making gingerbread houses and poppyseed cakes than try to make homemade Christmas decorations.  I'm convinced that I was off cooking somewhere when the call came in to get in line for the craft gene.  I don't knit.  I don't do cross stitch.  I don't paint.  Drew's only ten, and he draws better than I do.  You get the idea.

There's only one way to get me to do crafts:  invite me to Elissa's annual Christmas party.  Every year she hosts 20 or so women in her basement for a Christmas craft session.  I'm typically one of the more inept crafters in the room, but the company's always great and the vibe festive, and so every December Erin and I head out to Bensenville for good laughs and good company.

This year's project was learning how to make bows out of ribbon.  We needed about three yards of ribbon for each bow, and I learned that the distance between your nose and your outstretched arm is approximately one yard.  Here's Erin measuring out the ribbon for her bow:

I sat next to Joanne, who not only had me in stitches all night long, she helped me get my first bow together.

Once I practiced a few times, I realized this isn't as hard as it looks!  I was so proud of the way my bows came together, I'm inspired to try a few more once I get home.  I hope all my gifts wind up looking this good!

Thanks, Elissa, for hosting such a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment