Friday, December 17, 2010

Ray Bob's Christmas Party

My friend Ray Bob hosts an annual Christmas party that I always look forward to attending.  We pretty much do the same thing every year:  Ray Bob cooks for everyone; we all bring a dessert to share and a small gift for an exchange.

I love this party for two reasons:  the first is that there are certain people where this is the only time I get to see them, and it's great to catch up.

The second reason is the gift exchange.  There is an elaborate numbering system based on playing cards that determines when you get to pick (or steal) a gift.  The gifts are as eccentric as the people who bring them.  One person, who works for a box company, wrapped up a gift card in eight boxes.  There was a pack of plastic noses.  There were half a dozen old cassette tapes of Christmas music.  One gift had a Christmas card attached that had a drawing of a snowman with a picture of the president's face attached - it was the Obamaminable Snowman.
When it was my turn, I stole a gift card to Best Buy, but I didn't get to keep it for long.  I wound up with a five-pound bag of Dunkin' Donuts coffee - not bad.

As much as I enjoy this annual party, I made it an early night so I could get home and take over chaperoning the cross country sleepover at our house.

Thanks, Ray Bob, for another great party!

No comments:

Post a Comment