Friday, December 31, 2010

Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon

I was first introduced to boeuf bourguignon in my high school home ec class when I found a recipe for a short-cut version of Julia Child's famous dish.  It's the version I've always made since I didn't have that Le Creuset piece that has, in my mind, seemed a necessary component to making Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon.  It seemed only fitting, then, that I christen my new 7-qt. pot by making Julia's orignal.

I started the process yseterday. I browned the meat for just over an hour, coaxing those little hunks of beef to turn from pink to gray to light brown to a deep, rich, caramel color on all sides.  I tossed with flour and seasonings.  I added real pork belly.  I slow cooked it all in a low temp oven.  I skimmed fat.  I added nicely-browned mushrooms and pearl onions.  The smells floating around in my kitchen were so amazing, they almost made me dizzy.  I waited for it to cool properly before placing it in my fridge overnight.

I don't know when I've looked forward to a New Year's Eve meal quite as much as I looked forward to this one.  I woke up this morning to the residual scent of yesterday's efforts.  Honestly, I thought for a moment about heating it up and serving it for breakfast.  I did manage to show restraint and serve the meal at a respectable 7:30pm with boiled baby potatoes, buttered peas and French bread.

I felt like I'd died and gone to foodie heaven.  It was incredible.  All I can say is this:
Best.Beef.Gravy.Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment