Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Voted

The days leading up to a primary election in Illinois are brutal.  My phone has been ringing off the hook with candidates relentlessly begging for my vote.  TV and radio ads have been slinging mud and resorting to character assassination of political opponents.  I've picked up large amounts of litteroff my front lawn, as the grass roots organizations of various candidates paper my front porch to death with their propaganda.  And there are signs like these everywhere I turn:
In spite of all this, I love the democratic process of voting.  I actually feel like my vote counts a little bit more in the primaries, because fewer people actually get out and vote.  For example, almost 63% of voters in Illinois turned out for the presidential election in 2008, but turnout for today's primary elections is expected to be below 30%, based on early exit polls.  Besides, if I don't vote in the primaries, I can't complain during the general election.  And there's just no way I'm giving up my right to complain about Illinois politics.  Besides, by tomorrow there'll be piles like this one all over the place as the signs come down.

I do realize this isn't the end of campaigns and attack ads.  Knowing Illinois, there's bound to be recounts and scandals to last us well into November when we elect a new governor and a new US senator (among other things).  But hopefully there'll be a little respite at least until Memorial Day.
Hope springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment