Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Special Valentine's Dinner

Years ago Baird and I went to Hat Dance on Valentine's Day for dinner.  We waited over two hours for our table and by the time our entrees were served it was so late and I was so hungry I just couldn't even enjoy my food.  After that experience I swore off eating out on Valentine's Day, and I've cooked at home.

It's been quite awhile since I spent the better part of a day cooking a special meal, and I've really missed it.  There's really nothing I love more than putting together a special meal, sitting down with good friends, and lingering for a couple of hours over great food and conversation. Tonight we invited our Friends S&J Renny over for a special Valentine's Day dinner celebration.
The menu:
Shrimp Civeche in Mini Cucumber Boats with Plantain Chip

Asparagus, Red Pepper and Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese and Champagne Vinaigrette
Orange Roughy with Rustic Breadcrumb and Parmesan Topping
Risotto with Red Peppers, Peas and Bacon
Green Beans with Sauteed Shallots and Butter-Vermouth Sauce

Heart-Shaped Brownies and Cookie Dough Ice Cream


After a fine dinner we moved our little party downstairs and watched Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.  Casablanca is one of my favorite old-Hollywood romantic tales. This movie has special significance for Baird and me - it was the first flick we watched when we bought our first VCR back in the day when we were newly married.  S&J had never seen the whole movie, so sharing it with them was extra special.

1 comment: